The Mouse Who Wanted Her Tail Back
Adaptation by Connie Manson

Winter is the perfect time for baking. It’s fun to share this little puppet tale when baking at home or on a classroom baking day 

Once upon a winter’s day, there was a little cat and there was a little mouse. They began to play together, and then mousie nibbled on cat’s tail! “Ouch,“ said cat.  And so, the cat took the mouse’s tail!

          “Give me my tail back!”, said the mouse.
          “I will give you your tail back if you will give me a bucket of milk.”

First she lept and then she ran, ‘til she came to the cow and thus began, “Good day, cow!”
          “Good day, mouse.”
          “Would you please give me a bucket of milk?”
           “I will give you a bucket of milk, if you will give me a bale of hay.”

First she lept and then she ran, ‘til she came to the farmer and thus began, “Good day, farmer!”
          “Good day, mouse.”
          “Would you please give me a bale of hay?”
          “I will give you a bale of hay if you will give me a loaf of bread.”

First she lept, and then she ran, ‘til she came to the baker and thus began, “Good day, baker!”
          “Good day, mouse.”
           “Would you please give me a loaf of bread?”
          “I will give you a loaf of bread, if you will give me a sack of flour.”

First she lept and then she ran, ‘til she came to the miller and thus began, “Good day, miller!”
          “Good day, mouse.”
          “Will you please give me a sack of flour?”
          “I will give you a sack of flour if you promise never to nibble on my grain again.”
          “I promise,” said the mouse.

And so the miller gave the mouse a sack of flour. The mouse gave the sack of flour to the baker. And so the baker gave the mouse a loaf of bread. The mouse gave the loaf of bread to the farmer. And so the farmer gave the mouse a bale of hay. The mouse gave the bale of hay to the cow. And so the cow gave the mouse a bucket of milk. The mouse gave the bucket of milk to the cat and then and there, the cat gave the mouse her tail back, and shared her bucket of milk with little mousie.




Easy Mousie Finger Puppet

White or brown felt
White or brown thick yarn 2 1/2” long
White or brown embroidery floss
Small velcro dots in white or tan
Small black seed beads or black embroidery floss
Small black pom pom (optional)

1.  Cut out the pattern and fold in half lengthwise. Pin to hold.

2.  Sew a stitch or wrap a french knot for each eye with black embroidery floss.

3.  Sew the felt from the x near the back of the mouse to the point of the mouse shape--at the nose--with matching floss, using an overcast or a blanket stitch.

4. Cut 2 ears from pattern. Fold each one in 1/2. Attach the ears on either side on the head of the  mouse as indicated by the ‘x’.  


5. Attach a tiny velcro dot at the spot indicated by the x above, attach the other side of the dot on the wool yarn tail. Tie a knot at  the end of the tail.